- Wizest version only -
To use "Expense Management", you should ensure you have turned on Expense Management in Display Settings. You can find this through:
Administration > Company > Settings >Display settings
Here, in the Module Display section, you should make sure you have ticked the 'Expense Management' module. Once you have done so, you need to configure expense management prior to allowing employees to enter expenses.
Within expenses management there are a number of settings which you can configure and you also need to define expense categories which your employees will use when entering expenses.
There are various settings which you can configure for Expenses which are located under:
Administration > Company > Settings > Expenses > Expense Settings
The majority of these options are fairly self-explanatory however, there are a few which are worth expanding on further:
- Expense currencies - You can choose which currencies your employees can use when creating an expense report;
- Claim-level currencies - Selecting "Claim" will suggest that the entire expense report is to be submitted in an individual currency;
- Line-Level currencies - Selecting "Line" will suggest that each line can be entered in a separate currency allowing these to be mixed throughout the report;
- Expense declaration - When your employees enter an expense report, there is a declaration with a tick box required to tick. By using this field, you can set the value of that box so a custom message is shown. If you leave this blank, there will be no declaration shown and the employee will not be required to tick the box;
- Enable online receipts - If you require your employees to upload electronic copies of their receipts and to submit these with their expense report, you should enable this option;
- Receipts by Claim - Once you have entered all of the information about this expenses claim, the option will appear to upload all of the receipts in one go.
- Receipts by Line - Rather than uploading all receipts at the end of a claim, receipt images can be uploaded against individual line items within the claim itself;
- If you are using receipts at a line level, receipt uploads are mandatory for all lines.
- Enable Mileage Claims - If you reimburse your employees for the actual business mileage they incur, you can switch on mileage claims which will allow them to enter mileage details.
- Mileage Rates - If you have different rates for certain distances of mileage covered, you can input those rates here;
- Expense Approver 1 - First level approver. You can choose from "Employee manager", "Any admin" or "Any finance".
- Expense Approver 2 - Second level approver. You can choose from "None", "Employee manager", "Any admin" or "Any finance".
Set up expense categories
To set up expense categories you need to go to:
Administration > Company > Settings > Expenses > Expense Categories
Alternatively, select the 'Categories' button at the bottom of the Expenses settings page, as shown above.
Expense categories are simply a way to enable reporting whereby you can run a report which shows how much your expenses are for Fuel, Hotels, Travel, Meals and so on.
Once you have configured your expense settings and set up expense categories, your employees can now begin to enter their expenses via Self-Service.
When adding expenses, the employee can choose to add multiple expenses in a single report. By default, the interface will allow you to add one asset but you can add multiple expense lines using the 'Quantity' buttons. You can either use 'Add line', which adds one line at a time or you can use the quantity box to enter the number of additional items you need to add and then click 'Add multiple'.
Please Note - You cannot add expense types of mixed currency to an individual report. If you need to enter a report consisting of two currencies, these should be submitted as two separate reports.
Additional Note - If you use the 'Remove last' and 'Remove all' buttons, these will remove the relevant lines from the form even if they have data in them. Both generate a popup which you need to confirm prior to actually removing any lines but this cannot be reversed.
When adding expenses, most of the fields are required with the exception of description, vendor and comments.
The workflow above is shown when the company has set "Enable online receipts" to 'Yes' - if this were set to 'No', there would not be an option to upload receipts and there would simply be a button to submit for approval.
When you click confirm and upload receipts when online receipts are enabled, you are taken to a screen where you can upload the receipt images.
To add each file, click on 'Add files' and choose the file from your computer. The maximum size of any one file is 2MB and only files of type jpg, gif, png, jpeg, bmp, tif, tiff and pdf are allowed.
Once you have chosen all the files you, click 'Start Upload'. This additional step then uploads the images to our servers as a batch. Once this is successfully completed, the screen should look similar to the screen below. The status is now set to 100%, where each file now has a green tick next to it and, to the right of the "Start upload" button, there is now a message telling you "Uploaded 2/2 files".
Once you see a green check next to each file, you can then click 'Submit claim'. If you do so before you uploaded the images, you will get an error message.
The image below in the workflow is a summary screen that shows you a snapshot of the claim you are submitting along with the receipt images and, if required, the expense declaration.
At the bottom of the screen, you will see thumbnails of the receipts uploaded. If you hover over these, a magnifying glass will appear which will then open the receipt full size.
Once expenses have been submitted, the first approver will get an email notification and can then login and approve.
The approval screen looks similar to the screen shown above where the employee submits the final claim again with the ability to view the individual receipts. The main difference is there is a space for the first and second approver to be able to enter comments if needed.